Monday, April 16, 2007

Our Easy Bake Oven

Many of you maybe owned an easy bake oven when you were 10 or so. For those of you that didn't this was a mini oven for kids. You could mix up a teeny tiny batch of muffins (2) and then watch it cook for an hour with a dim lightbulb. I never owned one, but my sister did- that is until my mom talked her into trading that toy with her friend for a more low maintenance one (or maybe that was the doll that pooped- I forget). Anyway I don't think many kids own them anymore- but we do :) it masquerades as our oven. See picture.I'm not complaining- I am thankful that we have an oven at all- since Chinese don't cook with ovens they are hard to find. Actually, it doesn't take that long- but the tiny size, celcius cooking temperatures and strange symbols on the dials still make it a challenge. Our latest challenge in this oven was the easter ham. The ham did fit but the top of it was dangerously close to the top coils which made for a "nice" cispy outside. I have never cooked a bone-in ham before but let me just say....it's not worth it! Den and I were up at 7am stuffing cloves in the meat and then had to cook it for 5 1/2 hours! I'll put it this way- if a honey baked ham store ever comes here- they've got my money. But Den did a great job carving his first ham- who knows maybe I'll be brave enough to try a turkey someday.

No comments: